Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Jaysen's Update

Yes, poor Jaysen is the second child and therefore gets significantly less blog post updates. So here it is....

Age: almost 14 months

He has 6 teeth and a little bit more hair than he was born with. The longer his hair gets the curlier the back gets (just like my dad), and it seems to be getting lighter in color but still pretty brown. His eyes are hazel, also like my dad, and he has very sensitive, olive colored skin.

He gets eczema on his feet and legs and a little on his tummy. He also gets little dots on his legs and arms that look like little bites or something. Because of this he gets his own laundry detergent. It helps but they still come and go. He also has a type of mole on his back that I guess is really a birthmark since it's been there since birth. It is the same color as his skin only it is raised and you can see tiny hairs on it. The doctor said it is fine for now but around 5 years old we will probably take him to a dermatologist to have it tested.

He crawls really well and really fast. He likes to pull himself up to furniture and walk around while holding on to it, or while pushing something. He still won't walk by himself but I'm ok with it. I haven't worked on walking until recently because I know what that leads to...running.

He can say "mama" or "mom", "dada" or "dah", what sounds like "all done" when he is finished eating and hands me his plate, and "uhhh uhhhh uhhh" which is his word for everything else. So not a lot of talking yet. He jabbers when he is playing but if he wants something he grunts at you until you give him whatever it is he wants. I have been working on "please" and "up" and "more" but so far he hasn't said anything that sounds like those words.

He throws temper tantrums that scare me. Mostly because Kyler never had a temper and I know how Jake's was growing up. I guess I'll have to learn to manage. (We will just have to buy him a punching bag early - Jake's parents bought one for him when he was a teenager.)

He eats. A lot. But he is also very picky, just like his dad. When he finds something he likes he will eat it 'til it's gone...and then ask for whatever is on your plate. Our morning routine goes the way it does because of this. I feed Jaysen baby cereal first. Then I make Kyler's breakfast. Ky usually likes French toast sticks or Eggo waffles or toast, not a cereal kind of kid. I usually make a little extra to give to Jaysen. Then I get my cereal ready while the boys eat that. Ky is a slow eater but by the time I sit down and take a few bites Jaysen is finished and ready for more food. So I either put some dry cereal on his tray or just share mine with him. And when Jake is home in the morning with the boys I always get a text that says, "he is going to eat us out of house and home!"

He LOVES his brother. Whatever Kyler is doing, Jaysen is right behind him. They love to play cars together and he already knows how to make car sounds - I think boys come with that already installed. Kyler is really good about sharing and finding things for Jaysen to play with, and when he isn't, we know it because Jaysen freaks out! Poor Ky sometimes gets yelled at when we hear Jaysen scream and Ky hasn't even done anything. Oldest child problems, I guess. I am trying to be more careful now because a temper tantrum doesn't always mean Ky isn't sharing, it also means he is frustrated with whatever he is doing and doesn't have the patience to figure it out before freaking out.
 
He has a good arm. Loves to throw things and is actually pretty good at it. Guess we need to get him into baseball or something...maybe a quarterback? Jake would like that better than baseball. We will see what he wants to do I guess.

He hates blankets. Just like his daddy. No socks, no blankets on his feet, and wants the fan blowing on him all night. He also likes it dark, which makes the boys sharing a room kind of hard lately. Ky has to have a light on and Jaysen has to have it off. I think we came to a compromise with a smaller, dimmer night light right next to Ky's bed but we will see. If not I'll be making a room divider.

He is finally sleeping better. FINALLY! Up until recently he was still waking up 1 or 2 times a night. He still wakes up, but not as often. And usually it's because he lost his binky or the light is too bright.
 
Yes, he is still a binky baby. We try to not give it to him during the day as much but sometimes it just happens. I'm not too worried about it. He still needs it to sleep and he isn't even walking yet so it's not like he is a 5 year old with a binky at school (no offense if your child is one of these, to each his own.)

He loves to go for car rides and I have (surprisingly) never had a problem with him freaking out in the car seat. Kyler hated the car seat and unless the car was moving he was crying. Every single stop light. Jaysen is content as long as the sun isn't in his eyes. And if he is tired he needs his binky and he is good.

He knows how to go up and down stairs. This surprises me because I didn't teach him. I am assuming his baby sitter did (bless her heart) because I don't even have stairs to teach him on. I think Kyler was 2 before he learned to go up/down stairs.

He is a smarty pants. I always say his is my "thinker" because he always has this very serious, concentrated look on his face. And he is very good at trying to do whatever it is you are doing (unless of course he isn't interested yet...like walking.) He is also very stubborn that way. He likes things done on his terms. Which could lead to problems but once again we will see how it goes and learn to manage.

He is a sweetheart. He grabs my face to kiss me (you know, the big, open mouth, slobbery baby kisses.) He hugs really tight when I pick him up and he loves to cuddle, not as much as Kyler did but he still loves snuggles.

He is a good boy. He listens when I tell him "no". He may throw a little pouting fit but at least he won't do it again...for the next 10 minutes. He doesn't cry too often, it's more whining than anything.

He loves to giggle and loves to be tickled. And his favorite thing is blowing raspberries. You know, like blowing on someone's tummy. He thinks it is hilarious. He does it to daddy and Ky and me whenever he gets the chance and even tried to do it to himself one time when his shirt was off and he found his tummy.

He is our sweet, silly, squishy little boy and we love him soooooo much! I just don't know what life would be like without him.

2 comments:

courtney said...

he is THE cutest!!! we still need to get our boys together! this summer has just been too darn crazy!! i miss you tons!!

xox

courtney said...

he is THE cutest!!! we still need to get our boys together! this summer has just been too darn crazy!! i miss you tons!!

xox