Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Pantry

Yep, just showing off my amazing husbands handy work again. This last week we did a complete over-haul on our pantry. I didn't take any before pictures so for those of you who don't remember or never saw what it looked like let me just describe it a little bit. You open the door and it was about a 16 in. step down onto a cement floor. There were shelves on two of the walls- if you can call them that. They were basically scraps of wood all put together at random to make what looked like shelves. We have recently decided that we really need to be more gung-ho about food storage and that seemed really hard to do when that is what we had for a food storage room. So we tore out all the shelves and painted the walls with some left over paint we found. Then we built a floor so that it is even with the rest of the house and Jake put a trap door so that we can store luggage and other things under the floor to utilize that space as well. Then we bought some new shelves and set them up and now it is just beautiful! I love LOVE love it now! It is so clean and organized and I can't wait to fill up all our shelves with food storage. (If any one has suggestions on how to do a great food storage let me know). I would just like to thank my very talented husband for all his hard work. This was a pretty frustrating project because as we have found in old houses nothing is straight. Not to mention that the shelves we bought were pretty stupidly designed and he had quite a time putting them together. Thank you Thank you Thank you Jake!!!

The now even floor, so you don't kill yourself when you walk into the pantry. (We love stick on tiles-so easy and they look great!!)

You can't even see the trap door, just the String to pull it open.

The trap door.


And my mostly empty (at the moment) shelves!


3 comments:

Allyson said...

It's been a while since I looked at your blog! WOW!!!

The pantry sure turned out nice....good job!

KEEP WRITING YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

Love the costume, Abby was Dorothy too! No dog, or basket....I'm cheap.

I like the skeleton pumpkin....I can't be sure, but I think thats the one I voted for. It is so fun that you guys got together and did this....I hope you continue.

jake is quite the handy man....hmmmm wanna move to AZ?????

Jake and Alyssa said...

Allyson, that's ok, we like utah! but we could definatly come down and visit sometime. um, just a side note, why can't i see anything on your blog lately??

Brady and Cece Kimball Family said...

Is there anything Jake can't do? Ok maybe being dressed in a tutu doing ballet is one thing, but I think we can pass on that. The pantry looks amazing. I know how to bottle almost anything so if you want I can help with that. I also have a great plan on 14 meals and how to stock your pantry for 1 year of those 14 meals.